Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wonderful, amazing, happy

Sorry it has taken me so long to update the blog. It has been another edge of your seat kind of day and I needed some time to unwind. I bet you can guess from the title that Mason is doing great. :)

My sister/friend Tiff came up for another visit and she took me out so I could decompress after the long day. I swear she's better than a therapist.

So this afternoon I had many Dr's all come to me to tell me that you were going to be intubated today. It was inevitable. Your weren't blowing off your carbon dioxide (which is a poison) enough and your levels were getting to dangerously high levels.

I agreed with the Dr's that if you were in failure then intubation was the next step but that you had done well in the CTICU on the vent through the nasal cannula and I thought we should give that a try.

The Dr's didn't feel that would improve the situation but agreed to at least give the high flow a try. So we deiced to put you on high flow at 4 liters nasal cannula and do an ABG (oxygen level by blood test) in an hour.


Before the high flow your CO2 level was 62 and after an hour on the flowby your CO2 level was 48!!


All the Dr's were amazed that you were able to lower you CO2 level by 14 points in only an hour.

I just knew, even though they kept telling me otherwise, that you just needed that "push" of air to help keep your airway open.

An of course I knew how many of wonderful people were out there on team Mason were sending prayers and good thoughts for you and with that kind of support you just had to pull through.


I like being right.


So now if your respiratory status stays stable we will wait till Monday for the Dr. to take another look at your trachea and for your feeding tube surgery.


Keeping our fingers crossed for a few uneventful days.

As stressful as the afternoon was the morning was so much fun. I had the pleasure of meeting Ruben and his dad Jason who were at CHLA for a CT scan. Ruben is also an amazing CHARGE'er like Mason. His Mom Cathrine has a great blog here. Her photography is just beautiful.

Ruben is such an inspiration. So intelligent and sweet it's impossible not to fall in love with him instantly.

Ruben's dad was so nice to answer my 100's of questions. I'm hoping we get to see Ruben and his family again soon and I just can't wait to meet his little brother Callum. I heard tons about him.

How adorable is he?


Mason and Ruben meeting for the first time
So thank you all again for all the good thoughts and prayers. Your love and support mean the world to us.

6 comments:

Chris said... Best Blogger Tips

Mama does know best! I know there were lots of extra prayers for your little sweetheart last night and am so glad Mason is doing better. He is such a beautiful, strong baby. Thank you so much for posting your updates and for letting us know when he needs some extra prayers. He gets them daily, but a few extras never hurt :)

sherthebear said... Best Blogger Tips

I am so glad to hear this positive news. Mason you are so strong! You are always in my prayers.

dxeechick said... Best Blogger Tips

I like when you are right too! As always, thinking of you guys and praying for the best outcome!

Kristi said... Best Blogger Tips

Yay! So glad to read this update!
:-) Hope Mason's CO2 continues to stabilize.
When they discuss his next surgery (for the feeding tube) make sure to remind them (even though they "know!") that the smallest ET tube possible needs to be used to protect that delicate airway and avoid further trauma. :-)
Big hugs to you all!

Catherine L said... Best Blogger Tips

This is great news to come on here this evening and to hear.

Oh wow! well you know how men are with pics (well mine anyway) he didn't say anything about having pics taken. And thanks for all the really kind words. So glad my dear friend Kristi's here now on the comments. She is one of the most incredible women you could ever hope to have behind you...

Crystal M. said... Best Blogger Tips

They are an amazing family and I hope when Mason is healthy enough you all can go to a conference and meet so many more wonderful CHARGE families.
Hugs and prayers,
Crystal and eva